Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Due to my husband being very ill and recent death my house…

Customer Question
Due to my husband being...
Due to my husband being very ill and recent death my house has been neglected and is desperate need of remolding. A new roof, electrical and plumbing checks due to issues. Then it is a house that was built in the 70s. I'm afraid that if I spend much I would not be able to recoup my money. I don't know where to start to get someone to look at the house and start the repairs. The yard also is in need trees needing to be cut down and manicured. The pool some of the concrete is sinking.
The garage and house needs siding and new windows. I'm not sure it is worth putting money into it or should I try to fix it up or just sell as is and purchase another house?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/23/2017
Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your specific question. Please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

I can offer you some recommendations as to a logical approach towards deciding how best and where to start and what to do. A qualified Realtor can advise you best whether to keep or sell your home, there are tons of investors out there all with cash and looking for projects/deals so they can flip the house and make a quick profit. As for the repairs, always start with health and safety items, then repair necessity items, followed by less important items. If you are not able to make repairs yourself and have to hire someone, it is in your best interest to hire licensed and insured contractors. This will protect you and your home. If you need to hire someone many contractors will give you free estimates, those that don't I recommend avoiding. If you would like to discuss this more I am more than happy to assist you and provide advice/recommendations. I have been doing home repairs since 1984 and helping many homeowners like yourself make sound decisions.

I would like to flip the house myself if I could make a profit, so if I could do this what should I do to make sure it would turn a profit? I see the DIY projects on TV but not sure I could look at it and know what would like to know increase the value. So where would I start? I would have to farm out most of the work due to not having the time. So I need to know if that would be profitable or if I just need to have fixed up and keep. I only owe approximately 7.5 years left to have house paid for.
Unfortunately I am at work at the moment waiting for a patient to be ready for discharge so I can't talk at this time.

With 7.5 years left sounds like you have a lot of equity in the home. I am not a fan of tapping into that equity unless I absolutely need to. It would be best to discuss this more over the phone since typing takes a long time, plus we can both ask questions and figure out what is best for you.

Again I can't at this time. will be glad to at another time though.
I agree I don't want to touch the equity in the house.

When you are ready just initiate a phone call and we can chat more.

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on December 23, 2017 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 4 days ago

Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect