Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Need a bid list for all the choices in a 600' addition with…

Need a bid list for...
Need a bid list for all the choices in a 600' addition with a small bathroom: flooring, cabinet handles, moldings, window choices, pocket doors & hardware... all the things I'm not experienced enough to ask. Job is out for architectural drawing of walls & plumbing; want to consider all the details while it's being drawn before we hire a contractor. Thank you! Merry Christmas!
Answered in 3 days by:
12/25/2017
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

Hi Merry Christmas to you!So you're building a new 600 sq.ft. addition to your home?What all do you want in this addition? Full size bath? Kitchen or kitchenette? Bedroom and living space?Or is this an addition to your shop and you just need a workspace and half bathroom?Usually the way bids work is once you have a blueprint or plan in hand, then you can set about getting bids; but until then, no one else has the same visual as you do. There are too many "unknowns."Once you do get a blueprint drawn up, then you can go to any lumber co. or Lowe's and get a "take-off" of your plans. They will figure the cost of everything from the foundation to the cabinet knobs. Those are usually done at no charge to you. Builders will do this too But you have to know everything you want in this addition in order not to have any financial surprises.It's important to know too, that when they figure your take-off that they will price builder quality materials, so if you have better taste than stock cabinets, and their stock hardware, carpet, and light fixtures, then you will need to get your own pricing and add that to your bid.It is typical for a homeowner to spend 10% to 20% more than the bid you were given.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to informational resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Susan, this is very helpful. While plans are being drawn, including bath, kitchenette, room for a bed (family room today; potentially an extra bedroom/rental with separate entrance), was hoping to begin slaying the choices of cabinet knobs, flooring, windows/treatments...+++???
Is it premature to visit a Lowes or Home Depot in prep for this or will they laugh me out of the place until we have drawings.
It wouldn't hurt at all to shop and pick out what you want. You wouldn't be able to get a bid, but you can pick materials out, get pricing, and write down any store numbers that identify the product. For example, Lowe's sells 6 different brands of cabinets, or you have a choice of granite, quartz, solid surface, and laminate (formica) for countertops. Which one do you want?You might walk in and ask for the cheapest of those that aren't builder grade. I'm familiar with Lowes, so lets use Lowe's as an example....If this is a rental, then I would start with:1. Cabinets--Shenandoah brand, recessed panel, in a medium stained maple or oak. Write down the brand name, the name of the door style, wood selection, and color, and price. (Shenandoah is a fair priced cabinet (best price for the money), and it looks nice too). Stay away from therma-foil finishes.2. Countertops--Formica or Wilsonart laminate, hands down. It's the lease expensive of all the countertops and it's highly durable. Write down brand name, color, price, and number.3. Sink and faucet--Stainless steel sinks are good enough....maybe buy a large single bowl, instead of a double bowl. I would stay away from the pull-out sprayers on the faucet, as they get beat up really easily. Write down your selections and numbers.4. Backsplash material-- tile?And you still have to make selections for:→Bathroom vanity, faucet, sink, and mirror→Casing and baseboard moulding trim.→Carpet and other flooring→Cabinet knobs→Doors, exterior and interior→Light fixtures→Toliets (get the tallest one)→Paint color→Stair railing (If it's up or down stairs)→Roofing material→Exterior siding→Windows→Door knobsLowe's store numbers are usually 5 numbers long, so make sure you write down the right number. Once you have that number, you can order things online too (not the cabinets or countertop, but everything else).You've got a lot of selections to decide on, so shop early.
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor