Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

What are the requirement for footer placement to connect a…

Customer Question
What are the requirement...

What are the requirement for footer placement to connect a house to an existing garage for a 6' span

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

We are trying to do a plan so we can get a permit. 1 month

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's over a concrete slab breezeway we want to enclose on a ranch style house

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/19/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Where do you live?

Cuyahoga Falls oh 44223

I'm not available for a call at the moment. Footing must be set 1' below expected frost and 2' wide X 1' thick.

Can they be run down center of the span or parallel to the rim joists
How far apart

You haven't said what type of structure this is. If it's a typical wood framed connecting structure the footers would be under each exterior wall below the rim joist. Of course you'd have to pour (or lay block) a frost wall on top of the footer to bring it at least 1' above grade

Do you have more questions? do you still want a call, I'm free now