Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a Genie garage door opener that isn't working

Customer Question
I have a Genie...

I have a Genie garage door opener that isn't working properly. I think that it is the sensor(s). One has no light at all and the other lights up red. How can I tell if it is the sensors and do I need to replace both?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

For a while. I don't know much about garage door openers ( I am a widow), and cannot afford to get someone out to take care of the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

They worked fine and then all of a sudden, they would not work. Stopped immediately and reversed. I checked to make sure nothing was in front of the sensors. I have been manually opening the door or going around to back of house but that is killing my back and getting old.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes, even though I am 68 and a female, if I can find out how to fix it, I think that I can.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/1/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi if the door is reversing it most likely is the safety sensors .........we are going to start with something simple.................it seems that they are out of line or one or both went south.........you have to try and align them so that you have a steady LED light on both.......it's not like a laser beam but they do have to meet..............so work on that..........loosen and re tighten the brackets if you have to ........to test them at a different range to be sure you can also remove them and bring them closer ……….if you can't get them to stay steady then it probably means you have a bad or loose wire or possibly you'll have to replace them ...........the Home Depot or Lowe’s will carry them for about 40.

please let me know

Thanks

eddie