Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I bought a used exterior door at my local Habitat Restore.

Customer Question
I bought a used...

I bought a used exterior door at my local Habitat Restore. On the front side, there is some damage where oak veneer has some small split areas and the split edges have raised a bit. Should I steam the wood to soften and then try to work wood glue into the cracks/splits/ add waxed paper, clamp tightly and HOPE it adheres? Any advice?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I found this with a used door I purchased at the Habitat ReStore. If I can restore the finish, I will sand lightly, stain, and coat with several coats of marine varnish. Or that is my plan. But am open to suggestions

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that is all. Thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/29/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

I need some pics of the door showing the entire door and the damage.

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl