Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Looking to have my house painted. If the exterior is stucco,

Customer Question
would it require primer to...
Looking to have my house painted. If the exterior is stucco, would it require primer to repaint?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/27/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Primer is only required on raw unpainted surfaces. So if your stucco is painted now and that paint is intact no primer is needed. Random bar spots can be spot primed.

likely 6 or 7 gallons

thats all? I thought it would require more like 30.

Exterior paint covers between 200 & 300 sq ft per gallon

Sorry, the 1353 is the living space not the sq ft of the exterior walls

There's no way I can tell you how much paint you'll need until you tell me the areas to be covered. In any event I've told you how much area a gallon of paint will cover. So once you determine the area the number of gallons will be easy to calculate.