Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I bought a liftmaster radio receiver and the remote keypad…

Customer Question
I bought a liftmaster radio...
I bought a liftmaster radio receiver and the remote keypad that goes with it. I connected the receiver to the appropriate leads on the door opener and to A/C power.I know the receiver works because it has a manual button that opens and closes the door.However, I have not been able to program the wireless keypad so that it connects to the receiver.How to do it?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/26/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is eddie …….I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

1-) the make and model of the opener. How old it is. And do you have the manual?

2-) the make LIFTMASTER and model of the remote…..key less or universal….or if this is for car built-in what make of the vehicle?

3-) do you know where the opener (ceiling unit) controls are?

4-) The color of the learn button on the opener is?

5-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage. What made it go from working to non-working?

6-) if new when you purchased your transmitter did you check for compatibility?

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

1. Liftmaster Model 41A3040 - at least 20 years old. Do not have manual.
2.Liftmaster remote model 877MAX - keyless - to be wall mounted outside of garage
3. Yes
4.There is no learn button - unit is too old. That's why I also got a Liftmaster 365LM Universal Radio Control (receiver). This is wired directly into the door opener AND it works (there is a manual button that opens and closes the garage door). The remote is supposed to be able to talk to the receiver, which in turn sends the signal to the door operner.
5.The old wall-mounted switch (that the old keyless remote was hard wired to) was smashed. They don't make that unit any more.
6. I bought it from Overhead Door Company they told me it would be compatible. It's all Liftmaster.
7. I am extremely "handy" and can take on just about any home improvement task.
Thank you.

as far as I know that keyless should work off of that same frequency as the remote ......I can't understand why unless it may be defective .......or the logic board on your opener went south.......I want you to be made aware that garage door openers have a life expectancy of 10-12 years ......after that they do start acting erratically because of all the power outages and ensuing power fluxes.........then you are throwing good money against bad by replacing parts where a new opener starts around 150. ........quieter....self diagnosing.....probably no reason to replace the rails............but the springs maybe

the thing is you don't have a learn button as you said......did you look under the lens cover for that or dip switches?

have you called Overhead about a possible defect or a compatibility recheck on it ?

did you try to erase the existing pin by just using the keypad?

The instructions for setting the PIN assume you are going directly to the opener - one with a learn button.
In this case, the remote signal goes to a receiver, which delivers a simple open/close message to the opener. I should be able to program the remote to the receiver without involving the opener in any way (the receiver is hard-wired to the opener).

this is correct ............so have you been in contact with Overhead?

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

Eddie you're a nice guy but you didn't solve my problem!

okay..............good luck to you