Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Learning out to pour cement for and 8 x 10 shed….4 inches…

Customer Question
Learning out to pour cement...
Learning out to pour cement for and 8 x 10 shed….4 inches thick.
I watch several video and some showed when leveling the frame for pouring cement some would bring in dirt to raise the lower side to level the soil before pouring the cement…therefore 4 inches of cement was applied throughout the 8X10 frame. One Video showed no dirt was carried in to level the low side; instead cement was poured up to 6 inches on the low side and only 4 inches on the normal level.
1. Are there any advantages for pouring 2 inches of cement instead of dirt to level the cement foundation? 4 inches on the high level and 6 inches on the low level.
2. I also read that if your cement slab is next to a slope in which water will move into the 4 inch cement area; eventually the Clay Soil will start to sink creating an uneven foundation?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 day by:
11/26/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 4 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
When just a few inches and a small area is involved it is best to make up the difference with concrete .
More....
Filling in with dirt requires the dirt to be compacted and packed until it is very firm . As an example almost strong enough to drive on.
This is done on large jobs using powers compactors and other equipment.
On a small job like yours it is more cost feasible to make up the few inches using the concrete.
You are charged for the full amount the truck brings not what you actually use so if pouring from a redi-mix service it does not really matter.
If you are mixing from bags and pouring from a wheel barrow then you need to compare the cost and labor of buying a few more bags and either mixing and pouring versus adding and compacting a dirt filler.
A floor poured over a loosely filled dirt base is more likely to crack however staying within the “four inch “thick area will help prevent this .
Also consider drainage around the slap. It should be slightly raised if not consider installing a drain to divert water from trying to run under the slab
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor