Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I need to know if a wall is load bearing. I know the basic…

Hello, I need to...

Hello, I need to know if a wall is load bearing. I know the basic rule, with a wall perpendicular to the rafters. This is a little different. Wondering if I could show a couple pictures and have someone tell me.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Took drywall off yesterday so I could see the structure.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

It is all single two by four construction. No double up boards. I have not checked crawlspace to see if a support is under it.

Pictures don't tell me anything, what's above this?

The joists for the second floor run parallel to the five foot wall. I know the five foot wall isn't load bearing. The five foot long wall intersects a wall that is 44 inches long. That wall I am not sure about. The picture shows that the 43 inch long wall stops, and the same joists are unsupported over the dining room.

If there is a second floor above this then any partition that runs perpendicular to the joists is load bearing.

OK. So safe to remove parallel one that doesn't touch joists. 43 inch wall supports the 3 joists above. OK thanks.

Removing parallel partition is ok.

Do you have more questions?

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
No. Thank you.

You're welcome