Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

EDDIE ONLY for Home Improvement Questions, ASAP I have a…

EDDIE ONLY for Home Improvement...
EDDIE ONLY for Home Improvement Questions, ASAP
Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding replacing three ceiling exhaust fan/light combos. The previous ones were all the same Broan square model-- likely this one that sells for $35 at Lowe's:
http://www.broan.com/products/product/afc0a699-098e-4465-9dd9-c808e9d53bd5.
I know that these were "entry level" and, would like to upgrade to the one that is both higher power/efficiency yet still quiet and was wondering what you would recommend. Also, I'd appreciate any additional feedback regarding any other factors that I may need to consider especially involving the removal and re-installation process.
Thanks very much for you prompt, detailed response.
Jon
11/22/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ............when you do purchase your fans..........try to get them with the same aperture or even a little bigger so there will be no or less patching......the most important thing is to make sure that it is vented outside ........just up in an attic or crawl space isn't going to work and cause condensation and problems .............if you have a fan/light combination it would be good to keep them on separate switches if you already have them or if you have access to run 3 wire ....that way the noise won't get annoying being on constantly ..............please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Thanks for the very prompt response, Eddie. Again, I believe that I currently have something very similar to this Broan exhaust fan/light combo (I removed the period from the end so the link should now work):
http://www.broan.com/products/product/afc0a699-098e-4465-9dd9-c808e9d53bd5
Is 50cfm enough exhaust fan power, or would I be better off to purchase 80-110cfm units?

if you could get me the size of your bathroom I will calculate it for you ............don't forget the ceiling height .........a normal bathroom is around the 50 CFM mark.......and again as long as it is vented properly you wouldn't need to buy a more expensive fan......Broan and Panasonic are some of the quietest on the market

Hi again,
Both baths are only approx 5' x 10'sf with 9 ft ceiling
Both baths are only approx 5' x 10' x 9' H ceiling. But, especially in the bathroom that does not have any windows that can be opened, I want to install the most efficient exhaust to prevent mold growth after showering. Thanks again,
Jon

turns out you'll need 60 CFM .......so the 80-110 range

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Thanks for the info.
Jon

Thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>

and the bonus..........that was very generous and nice of you to do ......thanks again

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor