Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I need tech support on a Lift Master LA 500 gate opener

Customer Question
control box, someone with garage...
I need tech support on a Lift Master LA 500 gate opener control box, someone with garage door electronics knowledge
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/23/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 5 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ....will you be fixing this yourself?..............can you access the control box?..........do you have the manual?

fix self yes, access to control box, I installed unit in 2012 and have been able to fix each time it got gremlins
i only have install manual and went thru all troubleshooting they list
located in Stilwell, Kansas, can call you Friday at time you suggest so I can be at box

I am always checking so on Friday you can message me and I will get back...............have you done a hard reset which is unplug the modulars in the control panel for power and battery ?

I've done reset button, pulled power and battery, unwired obstruction beam sensor, reset asphalt loop sensor, no go! I won't be near control box until tomorrow or if you want, Monday

if you could tell me what it is or what it isn't doing exactly........and have you gotten some power outages recently?.......any diagnostic codes ?

On the control panel there is a gate limit setup panel where you gates to open limit and close limit. Normally to activate function, you press and hold open and close buttons, and yellow led's come on. you then move gates to desired open position, hit set open, and lights yellow led's go out. you do same for closed position. my problem is that I cannot get the limit setup to go away, the yellow led's stay on, and I cannot get gates to function in normal manner.

I am not there so I have to depend on you ...........it's real important for you to answer all the questions ....especially the one about the diagnostic codes in the control box..........there could be so many things that could go wrong and I need that error indicator reference........also are there any more letters to that LA500 model number?

I would like you to try the hard reset again .........unplug the modular for a good minute.........then put it back and press the STOP and then the CLOSE buttons..............was the gate mounting checked......is it unobstructed?

last did you happen to notice if your model has whats called loop detectors ?

Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 4 months ago

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

Sorry, I had go out of town for a couple of days. Gate control box is a LA500 CONT, s/n 1712N5365, built 04/26/12. Has the following connections to system board: Fire Dep - Exit - Shadoweye Interupt - Accessory Power - Expansion Board. I have pulled all power for a day. When I reconnect, I get a one time diag code of (4) and (9) and then none. Once system comes up, the SET OPEN and SET CLOSE lights keep blinking. I cannot get it out of this setup mode. I can move gates using the MOVE GATE keys. When I move a gate to an open or closed position and press the set OPEN or CLOSED setup button, they beep but still stay flashing. the gates move freely when put in to manual position, no binds in gates. I have removed all external wiring from the system board, rebooted, and still stuck in SETUP MODE. I tried your suggestion of hit the CLOSE and STOP buttons on reboot, both one at a time and both together. no fix!

anything on those loop detectors?.......... ​I am thinking what it might be is a capacitor or a now faulty logic board ...........I am very busy so far today but I will get to this and back to you asap

On those loop detectors ....if you are getting a steady (blue?) LED light on them then they need to be replaced ...............after that it looks like the control board ........because what we did should have had a positive impact

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor