Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Can you use plywood to finish the cellar walls in

Massachusetts straight on to the...
Can you use plywood to finish the cellar walls in Massachusetts straight on to the studs. The wall is insulated with fiberglass. If so, should there be a vapor barrier between the stud and the plywood?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can use plywood but you must cover the concrete foundation wall with rigid foam from slab to underside of the floor above and install a vapor barrier behind the plywood.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are you saying the wall needs foam from the concrete footing to the top of the cellar or just at the footing?Also, is this a requirement to use plywood for a finished wall or a general requirement to finish the room walls with any material?

Yes floor to ceiling. It's a requirment for any framed wall against a concrete foundation wall no matter the wall covering. It prevents condensation from forming on the concrete. If you don't do it inside your wall will be loaded with mold.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Do you have more questions?

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor