Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a manabloc that has hot water going in but cold water

Customer Question
coming out JA: How long has...
I have a manabloc that has hot water going in but cold water coming out
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Just started yesterday
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what the problem is
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Hot water heater is working fine all elements are good and thermostats are good. When you turn off the cold completely at the manabloc the hot starts to work
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/21/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Jerry, hearth products replied 25 days ago
Jerry, hearth products

I am familiar with the manabloc system, with cold side and hot side with all the little valves on the sides? I am trying to better understand what the actual symptoms are? Can you clarify this for me?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
that is correct. It is a vanguard manabloc.With both sides open hot doesn’t work, but when you turn the cold side off the hot starts to work

Also, are all of your hot water faucets not producing hot water? or just some? Also the hot water pipe coming into the manabloc is warm? But at he fixtures the water is cold? What about the actual small pipes coming out of the manabloc on the hot side? WARM or COLD?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
water is coming out but it is cold. Pipes leaving the manabloc are not warm to touch

Are there connections on the top AND the bottom on the hot side? Or just top or bottom with the other end capped?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Same through out entire house
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Picture of manabloc

This started yesterday? Has there been any changes or work done at that time? Thanks for the picture. Give me a minute.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Nothing. Never had a problem until yesterday

In the picture you have all of the colds turned off, this is the only way you can get hot water to flow through to the fixtures, and of course there would be no water flowing out of the cold faucets. Correct?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
That is correct
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Can the manabloc itself go bad?

I see the bottom hot valve has a blue water line attatched, do you know what this line goes to? I cannot think of how the manabloc could mix the water.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I am not sure what it exactly goes to. Has always been that way

Try leaving only the bottom hot valve closed, but open all other cold lines. See of that works. I think you may have a cold water line attatched to the hot side/

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok. Why would it have just now caused a problem?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Everything has been in place since house was built in 2008

You probably have a mixing valve or a tempering valve somewhere in the system that is failing. It mixes the hot and cold for large soaking or jetted tubs.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
We have a large soaking tub in the master
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Does that mean the manabloc needs to be replaced?

I didn't see that marked on your manabloc. but check under the sink cabinet near the tub, see if you can find the tempering valve. No I do not think its a manabloc problem.

Try to determine how to turn off the hot and cold water to your jetted tub, I think that will solve the issue.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
All the tub hook up is inside the tub casing can’t get to it
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It’s not a jetted tub. Just a soaking tub

Ok, but it has a roman tub faucet? Correct? I see the cold marked master bath tub, try just leaving that one off, and the rest of the cold on.

I am still here. Just waiting to see the results of trying turning off the valve to the master tub.

I believe you have a cross connection somewhere in your home piping. This most likely is going to be on a tempering valve, either at the water heater, or near the soaking tub. We can further investigate by turning some hot fixtures on, with all of the cold valves closed, (thus producing hat water at the fixture), then one by one turning on each cold valve at the manabloc. At some point you will lose your hot water and then you will know where to look for a cross connection. It could be any single handle faucet, or if you have bad wash machine fill valve, or if you have an an outdoor hot/cold hose bib that was left on. But the most like cause in going to be a tempering valve . I need to sign off before long. Please let me know if you need further help, or if you would like to continue by phone. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Jerry, hearth products