Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

We have a 100 year-old chimney with no damper--can I cap the…

We have a 100 year-old...
We have a 100 year-old chimney with no damper--can I cap the chimney, put in paperless fiberglass at the roof line (it's a 1 1/2 story brick house, mortar in a cement board barrier at ceiling level with rock wool insulation above it (good for up to 2000 degrees ,) and directly above the firebox, aluminum sheeting with rock wool above that. In the firebox I would then have installed unvented gas logs--does this seem OK to you?I don't know that I want an answer from an architect--I have 2 masters degrees and 40 years experience in reclaiming old houses. No platitudes please.
11/21/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you're trying to stop a draft from the chimney then you plan will work. I'd do it is such a way that it could be undone without destryoing the chimney.

Carefully constructed, does it sound safe to you?

Yes if you install a ventless heater, insert or gas log. In that case the chimney is useless. I'm assuming you have pinpointed the flue for the fireplace (it must have it's own flue) and you aren't blocking any other flue (like for a gas water heater)

I'm logging off for the night. If you have any more questions I'll respond i the morning. If not I'd appreciate a favorable rating. The thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably

Rick
Rick, General Contractor