Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Our bay windows have a laminate "sill" that needs to be

Customer Question
Our bay windows have...

Our bay windows have a wood laminate "sill" that needs to be replaced. We don't know how to do it.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don'e think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/20/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you're talking about the window seat (bottom shelf of the unit), you don't replace the bottom since it's an integral part of the window. The widow would fall apart if you tried to remove it. All you can do is go over it with a piece of 1/4" pine or birch veneer plywood. The window trim would have to be removed an modified to hide the edge of the new plywood.