Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I purchased a home built in 1960 with top of the line

Good Morning, I purchased...
Good Morning, I purchased a home built in 1960 with top of the line Burnham cast iron radiators. I recently noticed hat some rooms are warmer than others. Do I need to bleed the radiators every year?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just puchased the house 5 years ago in May so for 4 winters ( 2 which were very mild here in NY). I have notice it since then, but wanted to wait and see what would happen as my oil burner received tune ups.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no I have a new boiler less than 10 years and new roof, plus have insulated the basement and attic.
JA: Have you talked to a roofing professional yet?
Customer: about the heat no
11/20/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You only need to bleed the radiators when you notice they aren't heating up like they should.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
They are heating up but the furthest point of the house is cooler. IS that normal?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
no email is fine

Is that radiator heating up top to bottom? I'm assuming this is a hot water not stea system.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
please continue by email
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
top to bottom
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
please continue by email again
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
hot water

Call prompt is automatic I have no control over it. We can continue here

This time of year the room that has the thermostat can heat up faster than more remote rooms which can cause that room to be cooler. You can throttle the thermostat room radiator by turning the valve at the floor in small increments until the problem is corrected. But if the radiator in the cool room is hot then it may be undersized for that room's heat loss.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
great thank you
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
it wont let me rate you but I give you 5 stars

Please try again

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor