Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am looking at the AO Cyclone series commercial water

I am looking at...

I am looking at the AO Smith Cyclone series commercial water heaters to use in my home for both domestic water heat and space heating. I would like to know if the side access for circulation of water through in floor heating is using the same water as domestic (potable) or if it is going through a coil (heat transfer/ heat exchange).

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I am not sure what you are asking?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. I am planning on asking a local plumber to install the unit.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

BTX-80 cyclone HE 50 gal unit.

11/20/2017
Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

The recirculated water will run through the exchanger and be heated to a set temp on the recirculating thermostat setting. That is how they are deesigned for the side port recirculate feature.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

Is the heat exchanger inside the tank, or is it a separate unit. I was asking if the water coming out of the water heater is the same water as being distributed for domestic water use. That question has not been answered.

The exchanger is inside the tank not separate and yes the water being distributed out if for domestic water use for recirculation, the same as the supplied water to it.

if I understand you correctly, it is not a separate heat exchanger inside the tank for space heating. it is just tank water going to both (potable) domestic water and space heating (in floor). Is that correct? Are you sure that this is the way the AO Smith BTX-80 HE 50 gal wotks?

Yes that is correct there is just another port added for a recirculating so you do not have to do extra plumbing.

the specifications say that this unit requires a circulating loop. Isn't that recirculating loop referring to a primary loop and secondary loop configuration? In other words can this heater be hooked up directly to the in floor circulating loop, or does it require a primary loop configuration?

OK I guess I was misundertanding the question a bit, The side taps on the unit are for a dedicated reciruclating loop for a floor heat etc... That is an independent system from the main potable water. Does that make sense?

If you route it that way you would just run your floor heat or whatver you are running for recirculate just through the 2 ports, which is independent of the other main water heating coil.

Sure it is a independent system, but it could be an open loop system using the same water. In fact all of the cold water for the heater could go through the floor. My question developed past the potable question when you you don't have to do any extra plumbing. A primary loop is additional plumbing. A primary loop is a mixing loop for a secondary (in floor) loop. So, are you saying that I do not need that primary loop configuration?

Yes you do not need a primary loop configuration correct!

Home Guru
Home Guru, Handyman