Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My garage door opened and closed by itself. Two weeks ago

My garage door opened and...
My garage door opened and closed by itself
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Two weeks ago and last night
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just help
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ........it can be one of two things ........first there maybe a short in the system ............. try removing the wall button wire at the motor head to ensure it is not a short in the wire to the button, then try operating the garage door with the transmitters only...............if it stops the problem, replace the wires and test the wall button..............it is a process of elimination

the other one of your neighbors has the same opener and is on the same frequency even if they are a block away .........but fo you to start with any solution..........please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS:

hold down the LEARN button on the opener for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET:

unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....there is no battery in the wall transmitter…..plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

This is starting off with something simple and hopefully it will resolve the issue......

Always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited…..Please let me know how it goes

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi I unplugged the wall remote but it may not be the problem it's one year old wait and see

please follow these instructions explicitly and in its sequence

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor