Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have stairs made from sawn cedar or pine logs. They were…

I have stairs made...

I have stairs made from sawn cedar or pine logs. They were beautiful 20 yrs ago. Now deeply scratched and the scratched are almost black with wear. How can I clean them without a sander. My husband refuses to allow this because of the dust.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

They've been really badly marked for past two years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YEs - if possibly.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The 18 indoor stairs are the main access to my living area so are used 20+ times a day. They are 42" x 3" x 3" deep. They are anchored to the large cedar log support with wooden pegs.

11/20/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

If you could upload a couple of photos it would help out considerably

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

eddie

Sorry, unable to do this.
I don't want added expense. Will try to give you more details here.
I've already sent measurements of stairs and type of construction. What else do you need?
What happens now? I can't get back to you. The send button doesn't seem to be working
I don't want live phone call.
mhburris4040
mhburris4040, Home Improvement Enthusiast

First off let me start by saying that I would test this on a small area first to make sure that there is not any reaction to any type of finish or stain that might be on the steps.

I would recommend using a mild solution of TSP Cleaner (trisodium phosphate). You can find this at most hardware/paint stores.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAVOGRAN-1-lb-Box-TSP-Heavy-Duty-Cleaner-10621/202935861

Mix up a couple of gallons and apply to the steps and then take a soft scrub brush and agitate the mixture and then rinse the step with some clear water. I would not allow the steps to stay wet for too long and I would make sure to dry them as best you can after you have rinsed them. Depending on how dirty the step are you might need a couple of applications. Once you get them clean I would consider putting some type of clear finish on them to keep them clean a little longer.

Let me know if you have any further questions or would like more information. Please remember this is a dialog, if you have follow-up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

mhburris4040