Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have stairs made from sawn cedar or pine logs. They were

I have stairs made from...
I have stairs made from sawn cedar or pine logs. They were beautiful 20 yrs ago. Now deeply scratched and the scratched are almost black with wear. How can I clean them without a sander. My husband refuses to allow this because of the dust.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: They've been really badly marked for past two years.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YEs - if possibly.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The 18 indoor stairs are the main access to my living area so are used 20+ times a day. They are 42" x 3" x 3" deep. They are anchored to the large cedar log support with wooden pegs.
11/20/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

If you could upload a couple of photos it would help out considerably

How to send a photo or file instructions

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Thanks

eddie

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Sorry, unable to do this.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I don't want added expense. Will try to give you more details here.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I've already sent measurements of stairs and type of construction. What else do you need?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What happens now? I can't get back to you. The send button doesn't seem to be working
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I don't want live phone call.
mhburris4040
mhburris4040, Home Improvement Enthusiast

First off let me start by saying that I would test this on a small area first to make sure that there is not any reaction to any type of finish or stain that might be on the steps.

I would recommend using a mild solution of TSP Cleaner (trisodium phosphate). You can find this at most hardware/paint stores.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAVOGRAN-1-lb-Box-TSP-Heavy-Duty-Cleaner-10621/202935861

Mix up a couple of gallons and apply to the steps and then take a soft scrub brush and agitate the mixture and then rinse the step with some clear water. I would not allow the steps to stay wet for too long and I would make sure to dry them as best you can after you have rinsed them. Depending on how dirty the step are you might need a couple of applications. Once you get them clean I would consider putting some type of clear finish on them to keep them clean a little longer.

Let me know if you have any further questions or would like more information. Please remember this is a dialog, if you have follow-up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

mhburris4040
mhburris4040
mhburris4040