Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a ceiling fan with a remote control lately the on and…

I have a ceiling fan...
I have a ceiling fan with a remote control lately the on and off button for the light works fine but for the fan when you hit the remote control button sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t work what do you think the problem is
11/20/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi Michael........more than likely the button on your remote has become worn through constant use and if you could take it apart but be carefully........and get to the circuit board you can take a alcohol swab and clean that button contact area .............if not a new remote may be in order.....please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Thanks . I tried it again just now and I can hear the motor on fan start humming when I push the button but fan won’t turn .

oh that's a different story ........how old and what make and model is the fan?

Hunter Douglas and about 4 year old

do you smell a foreign odor when you turn on the fan?

We didn’t smell anything

can you give me more insight on what is happening?............what in your estimation has made it gone from working optimally?............are other devices on at the time?............does the fan slow down sporadically?........does the fan labor to start?..............have you had recent power outages?..........or you may have everything pointing to a now faulty motor.......even though it is only 4 years old...........since I am not there it makes it that much more difficult ......so if you can think of anything else

Thanks

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
I think I’ll buy another fan . Thanks for you’re help

Thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>