David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner at Floridaco
99480491

Help in identifying asbestos we have 1973 HVAC air ducts

Help in identifying asbestos we have 1973 HVAC air ducts that we need to have air sealed contractor said it had asbestos I will attach some photos

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your specific question. Please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

The photo you provided looks like a round metal duct surround by pink blown in insulation. Most blown in insulation is not asbestos. The only way to know 100% is to have it tested to see if it is "hot", but from the looks of it I tend to think not. If you have a transit pipe (usually a concrete looking vertical exhaust pipe), those usually have asbestos in them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, ok David thanks here a few more photos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the last one

I​t is hard to tell the 2nd to last photo but the last photo looks like regular insulation wrapped around the duct. I understand what your HVAC guy is saying as he doesn't want to be in trouble or sued if you have asbestos and many products used before 1978 contained asbestos. The only way to be 100% sure is to have it tested. Many tests can be done from a certified tester for a few hundred bucks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks, ***** ***** can find certified tester?

Y​ou can check yelp online for certified Asbestos, Lead, and Mold testers in your area. If you are near SoCal I can reference a tester. Note it is ok to have asbestos so long as it is not disturbed. Any asbestos removed need to be done so in accordance with EPA guidelines and is to be properly disposed of.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know,

Best,

Dave