Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have an older Schlage double keyed deadbolt. The key turns

Customer Question
and locks from the outside...
I have an older Schlage double keyed deadbolt. The key turns and locks from the outside, but not the inside. There are no screws on the outside, but some Allen-type screws inside. No standard key fits.... Any suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Happened about a week ago. The key was sticking a bit so my husband shot some WD-40 into the cylinder. That's when the key just started turning freely inside. Outside still works just fine so we can close and lock the door
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible, but I'm afraid he's not very handy, and I've never done this before. i don't want to have to replace the lock/key system if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's all I can think of
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Home Improvement
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 28 days ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your specific question. Please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

If you remove the 2 allen screws the inside cylinder will come off. Most likely the problem is the retaining clip is loose or has fallen off which allowed the rear shaft to either spin of fall off. If the parts are still good usually you can squeeze the E clip a little tighter and reinstall everything. This is common when the cylinders have been rekeyed.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
the screws on the back are 'like' a hex key, but nothing we tried fits..it seems to be an odd size screw. None of our Phillips worked either. And the lock was never rekeyed

C​an you upload a few photos? Most Schlage screws are allen screws and the parts may have failed internally. You will need to remove the inside lock to better determine the problem and how to fix it.

You may need to try metric allen wrenches if standard sae do not fit tight.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I've uploaded an image of the back of the lock. Am I right in thinking that we have to take the deadbolt plate off in order to get the lock off? And we have tried both standard and metric... it's between sizes of what we have. I've seen pics of some long screws with what looks like hex tips included in the schematics with Shlage locks. I'm wondering if those are what we need.

Those are regular allen screws but I am not able to tell you if metric or standard. Let me know what size you have been trying and I will see if I can narrow it down for you. I use a multi tool allen set both standard and metric and usually have no problem removing the screws.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The 1.5 is too big and 1.27 is too small

S​omething isn't right maybe the allen wrenches you have are rounded and not sharp or deep enough to engage the screw? I would like to see the wrenches you are using near the screw so I can better see what is happening.

Those look good can you put them at the screw heads so I can see what is happening...

The only thing I can think of is you are between sizes. If your allens are metric then you will need to try standard, I have attached a conversion chart for reference. If the allens will not work I recommend getting a flat head screwdriver that will fit inside point to point (angle points inside of the allen screws) and try that. You may also need to wiggle the lock around as something the screws get wedged and are hard to turn (usually resulting is stripped tools or screw heads) the only other solution will be to try a small easyout screw extractor that will grip the head and help to remove it. You will probably need to replace the lock since these screws are not an after market item.

https://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtchtfdm.htm

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I tried two small flatheads... 1/8" and 9/64"... neither seemed to catch/do the trick.... I'm now trying to take the deadbolt plate off to see if there are screws behind that

Ok...

T​hose are the latch screws and the cylinder is holding it in you need to remove the cylinder screws in order for the cylinder to come off

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
But in order to get the cylinder out, we need the right hex screwdriver.. which we don't seem to have, right? Are we just stuck at this point? Do we need to just call a locksmith?

A​ locksmith will get it removed and you can too, if you can get the correct size allen wrench.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-SAE-Metric-Folding-Hex-Key-Set-17-Piece-HFHKSM17PC/202934904

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok... guess I'll have to head out to get that.... but I'll still need to get a new lock, and then rekey it, correct?

H​ome Depot can rekey if you need to replace the lock. I think once you get the screws removed you can repair the lock providing nothing is broken.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
If nothing is broken, how simple is it to repair the lock? Is that something I can find on YouTube?

j​ust upload me a couple photos and I can help you. Most likely the E clip is loose or fell off. You will need a pair of pliers to squeeze it so it holds.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'll have to do that tomorrow after I get some of the standard hex keys. I can still lock the lock from the outside so I'm ok for tonight. Thanks....

Ok just let me know

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Can I keep this email chain open and just contact you again here tomorrow? I don't know how this system works, I'm afraid

Sure no problem

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Great.. thank you, ***** *****'ll get back to you as soon as I get a set of wrenches and can get the cylinder cap off...

Ok

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 26 days ago

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 24 days ago

J​ust following up to see if you still needed help with the lock? Let me know if you needed further assistance.

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 14 days ago

I have not been able to locate any additional information on this issue and since I have not received any feedback, I am thinking the recommendations I mentioned above have been helpful in resolving this problem. If you still need additional assistance just let me know by using the reply box.

Thanks,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 12 days ago

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question? If this information was helpful you can close out this question simply by completing the rating questionnaire when prompted, however…

If you are still having problems that my response and recommendations were unable to resolve, just let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution, however I do ask that you please do not complete the rating until I have had a chance to do some further research.

Thanks,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor