Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Clearances to cabinets over a cooktop, both horizontal and…

Clearances to cabinets over...

Clearances to cabinets over a cooktop, both horizontal and vertical

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Getting ready to remodel and I'm concerned about proper clearances

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, are you working with a contractor?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Some

11/19/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your cabinet clearence question. On behalf of Just Answer, I do apologize for the extended wait time you’ve experienced without an expert responding to your question. Now that I am logged on, please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

There is no standard or minimum height clearance, however for comfort and usage as well as a safe height and good rule of thumb above the countertop would be 16" as a minimum and 21" as a maximum. If you are installing a range hood or microwave it will change the clearance slightly. Base cabinets and countertops usually finish around 35-36" above the floor, the wall cabinets are usually 30, 36, or 42" tall and depending on the floor to ceiling height will change the clearance height about the countertop. Normal range hoods are 5-6" in height and microwaves are typically 14-17" in height. Whatever size cooktop you are using the cabinet above it should be the same width if possible. 24/24, 30/30, 36/36 If you go any wider than you will start to have issues with gaps on either side or need to go with larger ducting/venting hoods.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

No thank you, I’m good.

Ok thanks for the reply....

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

This will close out the question however if you did not need any help this time you can request a credit or refund. Please note completing the rating portion has no influence on the refund policy, it merely asks how the expert handled your question.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor