Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am building a fort for my kids and need to use untreated…

Hello, I am building a...
Hello, I am building a fort for my kids and need to use untreated wood because I have a garden that I eat from. I have two questions. First, wondering if I can treat the pine to support the fort with lumber seal , several coats ( it is non toxic ) and then paint it with exterior paint and was thinking on placing the supports on blocks to avoid wood to soil contact. Second question, can I use two 2x4 for each support around the fort instead of 4x4?
Thank you,
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
If the fist option is not a good idea , can I use cedar 4x4 for the post treat it with lumber seal and placed them on concrete blocks? And for the rest of the fort, could I then use pine and paint the pine wood?
11/18/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yes you can use lumber seal. I have no idea where you would use a 4 x 4. If this is essentially a wood framed shed 2 x 4's will do the job for walls, deck should sit directly on your concrete blocks. unsupported joist span no more than 6' for 2 x 4's, 9 or 10 feet for 2 x 6's

Hi Rick,
This is for an elevated kids fort. Wondering if the pine is ok as well
Thank you.
RonIt is for an elevated fort for my kid
My main issue is using untreated pine wood and apply lumber seal and then painting it.wondering if this will protect it vs. preassure treated wood.

Cedar is not ok, pine is ok. Should be 4 x 4 at corners with doubled rim joist. FIY press treated would now uses copper which is non toxic. Arsenic has been banned in treated wood for decades. I have an organic garden. I'd use treated 4 x 4 posts. The rest, since it's elevated can simply be painted.

Thank you for your prompt response. My wife is so against anything treated..lol. So I will use 4x4 pine and use lumber seal then.is that ok then? I’m sorry , I have no experience with this kind of stuff.
Thanks again.Ron

You're welcome. Yes the lumber seal and paint is ok. Use a post base bracket at the base of the posts to keep it out of any water.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-Steel-G185-Post-Base-Common-4-in-Actual-3-5-in/3365876

Rick,
Thank you very much. I can’t wait to start this project . I really appreciate your help.
It’s funny how so many untrained people told me about cedar but I really thought it was so soft for this kind of project and it seems to soak up water. At least my gut feeling was in the right track. Thank you for clearing this up for me and will sleep better knowing I will do it the right way. 5 starts my friend!,,,n
Sincerely,Ron

Glad I could help

Rick
Rick, General Contractor