Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I'm having an issue with a5000 watt heater. Bought a double

I'm having an issue with...
I'm having an issue with a(###) ###-####5000 watt heater. Bought a double throw 30a breaker. Hooked it up with the black and white as hots to th l1 and l2 and the bare copper to the ground and nothing. If I hook the white to neutral and black to hot it comes on, but just barely. There's something I'm missing here.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About 2 hours
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. I've wired lots of 220 and 110 and I deal with 575 at work all the time. This should be pretty strait forward
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
11/18/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your wall heater question. On behalf of Just Answer, I do apologize for the extended wait time you’ve experienced without an expert responding to your question. Now that I am logged on, please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

D​o you have 220v at the heater? If so can you provide the model number of the wall heater. Wall heaters are straight forward once the wiring is connected correctly.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hey David. Here's the link for the heater. www.princessauto.com/en/detail/5-000w-construction-heater/A-p8678294e I know this should be super strait forward and yes I have 240. I installed a double throw 30a breaker, used 10/3 wire so both the black and white are hot and ground to ground. In that configuration it doesn't do anything. If I switch one of the coloured wires onto the neutral bar it will come on, but just barely. I'm thinking that it may be a defective unit.

S​orry for the delay in response I was in the field all day... I was not able to look at the wiring schematic of this unit however I found a similar one (different brand but same in everything else), and from what I can see if you have 240 across L1 and L2 and 120 from Ground to L1 and 120 from Ground to L2 then the problem is internal. Looking at the schematic it shows a 120v fan and 120v hi limit cutout before it gets to the 240v coils. If you do not have 240v at the coils then something is not continuing, either the fan or the hi limit. I do not know if you can isolate and check these out, but it is also designed with a fan delay feature that will not start until after the unit has preheated (most likely 120v preheat) and that may be why the system is not coming on. The changes (jumpers) only effect the wattage ratings not the elements themselves at 240v. The only other possibility is the thermostat however it is either on or off and it should also be 120v. Bottom line is if you have input voltage and output voltage where it enters and exits each control (fan, thermostat, hi temp) then the 2 choices are the built in delay feature or the unit is defective. If you decide to exchange it and the next unit does the same thing I have to think it is all the delay features. I can't imaging them making defective units, but who knows.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
That's for the replies Dave. I havnt had a chance to have a look at it lately, but I'm sure it's something to do with the heater. If I have any more trouble I'll get back to you. Thanks

You're welcome. If you would like to continue this conversation later just reply to this thread. In the meantime I will start the close out process so the question doesn't remain open.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor