Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am remodeling a home in Mammoth Lakes Calif. 93546 .The…

Customer Question
MY Name is Tom...

MY Name is Tom I am remodeling a home in Mammoth Lakes Calif. 93546 .The elevation is 8000. I have 4 bathrooms with showers and laundry room and kitchen. Currently I have a conventional 100 gal water heater. The heater will be propane fired as we do not have natural gas. I have a circulation system already in place What would you recommend ?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, are you working with a contractor?

I am A general contractor and do my plumbing in house..

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

High altitude is important on sizing. are water comes into the house at about 40 degrees. I want to know the heater you size will be a winner for all concerned. I have heard the water coming in causes the on demand systems to not work so great ..

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/17/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Here's a good cost effective option. Other 100 gallon tanks are commercial or very high efficiency and 2 or 3 times the cost. Commercial models do have a higher recovery rate.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/AO-Smith-PCG-100-LP-98-Gallon-ProLine-High-Recovery-10-Yr-Warranty-Residential-Water-Heater-LP-Gas

I am confused!! I wrote my Question in requires to changing out my 100 gal water to a on demand water heater for high altitude on propane.. Did you get my original question? T

While I did misunderstand your original inquiry I would avoid tankless gas water heaters. I did a cost comparison and when all costs are factored in (installation, fuel usage, maintenance) tank type heaters are less expensive and more reliable. If you still want a tankless rec let me know and I'll opt out. I know we have another expert who would be happy to spec one of these overpriced, overhyped units.