Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a 449CT smoke detector that is connected to my

electrical system. It is chirping...
I have a 449CT smoke detector that is connected to my electrical system. It is chirping. I can't just disconnect it and leave live wires exposed. Should I get a new one and replace it? Is there a way to turn it off so it stops chirping?
11/17/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .......what you have there is an integrated system .......meaning if one is effected then they all are so if you treat one you need to have the same remedy for all so........

Disconnect each smoke detector……. if they are hard-wired leave them disconnected…... you’ll un-plug the wiring harness connector at the back of each……... if they also have a battery, remove each and click the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds to discharge the internal capacitor…….. once each smoke has been disconnected from power, listen if the chirping goes away or if you still hear it.

If only a battery connected, remove each battery and hit the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds.............again to discharge the capacitor...........once this is completed, kill power to the circuit breakers completely to the OFF position............. then it dust off each with a compressed air canister (like the one you use for your computer) wipe with a soft cloth and install fresh batteries in each and replace………..Please let me know

Thanks

eddie

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Thank you so much!

you're very welcome.............and thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

eddie22Island