Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I recently purchased an older house (with a crawl space) in

Hello,I recently purchased an older...
Hello,I recently purchased an older house (with a crawl space) in September. It has an 8 inch concrete slab that connects to the ground and most of the house is surrounded by a concrete apron. We've had a few small rains, but just had a very heavy downpour yesterday. I noticed when I got home from work that the kitchen had a "wet soil" smell, and it seemed to be stronger below the kitchen sink. As I said, most of the house is surrounded by a concrete apron, but the exterior wall that shares the kitchen wall has a flower bed up against it. I also noticed that the flower bed was quite wet from the rain (even though there is a roof overhang, but no gutters). Could this flowerbed be where the smell is coming from? If so, how can I reduce this?Thanks
11/17/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Best bet is to nstall a gutter on that side of the house. If you can grade the soil so it slopes away from the house that would also help.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hey Rick,So the flowerbed could be causing the wet dirt smell in the kitchen? Would laying rock over the soil help?

Not if the ground doesn't slope away from the house. A gutter will carry all the water that falls on the roof away from the flower bed where is is apparently accumulating

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay gotcha. It may take awhile to get a gutter installed, so is there anything else I can do to reduce the smell/exposure? Is there a type of plastic liner or flashing I can install in the space where the concrete foundation meets the house paneling? I've noticed that there's some plastic lining that is hanging loose from that area, but I don't know what type it would be.

You can seal the seam where the siding meets the slab with polyurethane caulk. Be sure all surfaces are clean or the caulk won't bond.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay, thanks Rick. I'll give that a shot.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor