Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I’m wanting to remove a few walls in my modular home, Few…

I’m wanting to remove...

I’m wanting to remove a few walls in my modular home

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Few days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I want to know if these walls are load bearing or important to the structural integrity of this modular house

11/17/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

Generally walls that are parallel to the rafters and floor joists are not load bearing.

Ok

Do you have more questions?

I tore off some drywall and exposed the inner closet studs that are at the ceiling but not the ceiling! They appear to be butted up not Sheetrock

I can't tell you which way your rafters run. That's something you'll have to check out yourself. Many modular homes have roof trusses instead of single rafters in which case there are no load bearing walls if this is a single story house.

They run opposite the walls! I got up into the attic and the rafters in one side four of the are bolted together!

Show me a pic

I’m trying to send s. Idea but won’t load
I’m trying to send a video
I’ll try again

Videos files are too big and I don't need a video. Just a pic

you think more then likely none of these are load bearing walls?

Probably. The sheetrock on the ceiling is another clue that you have trusses. I need a pic of the attic. More wall pics are useless

I need a wider angle on the attic pic

I took several angles
There are four trusses bolted together I’m guessing the marriage wall is located below these as the concrete slab supporting the floor is directly beneath these

Ok, you have trusses but not typical trusses. Any wall that it perpendicular to the trusses and under the vertical truss member in the right of the pics could be load bearing

There is no plate the framing is situated below the ceiling sheetrock
do you think it’s sufficient to go ahead and remove these if I tear off all drywall and find that they are all below a Sheetrock instead of a 2x4?
I’d call you but I don’t have the funds in this card I live out in the boondocks and I need to get to town to reload my card

I see a plate in your pic. Since they are below the sheet rock it's a high probability it's not laod bearing. They wouldn't have sheetrocked the ceiling if they needed a bearing wall to hold up the roof.

Yeah but I figured they would be double plated! Is what I meant! Great so that’s a non load bearing sign if they are situated beneath a Sheetrock then!! I still need to expose these other walls yet! But I’m sure they are the same! You mentioned these or some modular homes are non bearing walls interior! Due to the truss roofing? I hope that’s the case with this!
Do you think as a precautionary measure I ought to install some 2x4 beams across semi load bearing beams?? If that’s even an adverb! “Semi load bearing beams” lmao

A roof that has trusses instead of rafters and joists generally has no interior load bearing walls on the top floor. Manufactured homes almost always use trusses because they are faster/cheaper.

Or maybe a 2x4 timber across where I’m removing these walls?
It wouldn’t hurt to install maybe 2x4 timber after I remove these?
I mean 4x4 sorry I meant 4x4 timber

I've already explained how your roof works. Temp beams don't work on a trussed roof

I have tree 4x4 timbers that would fit here left overs from another project!

read my last post

Ok are you available this evening? I have to go into town today and I’ll reload my card and give you a call

I'm online unitl ~ 7 pm ET. I do take breaks.

Ok l request you before your offline then! Thanks ttyl

I'd appreciate a favorable rating

Sure great! I thank u Rick

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, General Contractor