Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I started smelling a strong scent maybe sulfur or ammonia in…

Customer Question
I started smelling a strong...
I started smelling a strong scent maybe sulfur or ammonia in my guest bathroom downstairs a few hours ago. It's coming from the sink and toilet. I feel like it is making me kinda dizzy or better yet slightly disoriented. I checked all other sinks and toilets and the guest bathroom toilet upstairs slightly has the same smell. I use the guest bathroom the most out of the three. What is the best thing I can do to minimize the smell until I can get a plumber to check it out? And are there specific qualifications to look for in a plumber?Thank you!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 8 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Sometimes an odor can come from the water or the waterr heater.
While unpleasant they are not usually unsafe. Keep your bathroom doors closed until you get this resolved . Running the exhaust fan for a short period of time may help , and if weather permits slightly open the window . Running Your normal HVAC system should also help.
More..
Thank you. Will running the HVAC and exhaust fan spread the smell?
Things to look for in a plumber is to make sure they are licensed and insured . They should be operating their business as "master plumber".
Any plumber who meets these criterion should be qualified to solve your problem.
The exhaust fan will separate it from the system and exhaust it to the outside.
The HVAC will run it through your system filters . Depending on their
type "Hepa" etc. it should help.
Closing the bathroom doors will help contain the odor .
This is a problem that can come from homes with areas that are not used often or upon returning from vacation .
Other possible causes are the annode in the water heater .
The source of your water , well ,
city, community can also sometimes have an odor.
Your plumber will be able to isolate the source .
I would call as soon as possible in the morning.
This is usually more of an unpleasant odor than a health hazard . That said if it bothers you or anyone in the home to the point of dizziness I would leave until this is corrected .
I just turned my a/c back on. Can this be coming out the vents? It was sooo strong I immediately turned it off. Or was that much gas leaked when I open the bathroom door to turn exhaust fan on?
Until the air has totally circulated it will be strong .
If the source is constant it will possibly not diminish very much.