Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Help me with a smoke alarm. Kidde about 3 years. The problem…

Customer Question
Please help me with...

Please help me with a smoke alarm

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Kidde about 3 years

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The problem just occurred I am at a loss as to what I should do

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

It keeps telling me that there is no or low battery I have removed the 2 batteries from the unit

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/16/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 8 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi .......what you have there is an integrated system .......meaning if one is effected then they all are so if you treat one you need to have the same remedy for all so........

Disconnect each smoke detector……. if they are hard-wired leave them disconnected…... you’ll un-plug the wiring harness connector at the back of each……... if they also have a battery, remove each and click the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds to discharge the internal capacitor…….. once each smoke has been disconnected from power, listen if the chirping goes away or if you still hear it.

If only a battery connected, remove each battery and hit the "Test" button for approximately 20 seconds.............again to discharge the capacitor...........once this is completed, kill power to the circuit breakers completely to the OFF position............. then it dust off each with a compressed air canister (like the one you use for your computer) wipe with a soft cloth and install fresh batteries in each and replace………..Please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Home Improvement Expert: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

We received your answer, thank you. We installed back the smoke detectors , they are working fine up to now.

I hope this held substantial meaning for you ....got you out of your difficulty and would consider a 5 STAR rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you! If you do need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks

eddie