Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a house built in 1929. the stair handrail mount is…

Customer Question
I have a house...

I have a house built in 1929. the stair handrail mount is between studs and I have no way of putting it in a stud, it has torn a hole in the wall. The wall is filled with insulation. How do I repair and support the bracket?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Over a year.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I've tried butterfly bolts and it just makes the hole worse

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/14/2017
Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 5 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your specific question. Please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

The best way to do this is to open the wall and install a 2x6 block horizontally nailed or screwed into the studs on either side. This will do 3 things. 1st it will give strong support and backing to the drywall at that location, 2nd it will provide a solid foundation to anchor the handrail bracket into, and 3rd it will spread the load and make it much stronger and harder to pull out in the future. Once done patch, texture, and paint the drywall and install the bracket hardware and you are done.

My wife has trouble with her knees and pulls on the handrail when she goes up. The bracket is in the wall between the milk chute and the outside door.

What is on the other side of the wall?

Phone call did not go through maybe because the credit card company has a block on it for fraud?

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question? If this information was helpful you can close out this question simply by completing the rating questionnaire when prompted, however…

If you are still having problems that my response and recommendations were unable to resolve, just let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution, however I do ask that you please do not complete the rating until I have had a chance to do some further research.

Thanks,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 4 months ago

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

I have not been able to locate any additional information on this issue and since I have not received any feedback, I am thinking the recommendations I mentioned above have been helpful in resolving this problem. If you still need additional assistance just let me know by using the reply box.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on November 13, 2017 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 months ago

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

W​ere you able to get the stairs working properly or do you still need assistance? Please advise.

Thanks

Hello... I would very much appreciate if you can take a few moments and reply to this email and let me know if you still require assistance, or should I proceed forward to closing out this question since it has been open for so long.

Thank you,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave

Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago

Your assistance is needed... A​s of today this question is more than 90 days old and based on the nature of the problem along with the recommendation that were provided, I would like for us to close out this question, however to do that it requires a rating by you as explained below.

Please note that the rating is only based on the experts attempt to resolve the problem. If you feel a credit or refund is applicable, please contact customer service directly as the experts are not authorized to handle these matters.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

​Thank you very much for your assistance with this, I sincerely ***** *****

Dave

If you could please respond and let me know if you still need assistance or if I can proceed in closing out this question, I would sure appreciate it as it is several months old.ThanksDave
Home Improvement Expert: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 5 days ago

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor