Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I'd like to know the STC (Sound Transmission Class) rating…

Customer Question
I'd like to know the...
I'd like to know the STC (Sound Transmission Class) rating of a single layer of drywall (for example, a wall assembly that has drywall on only one side). Thanks!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/13/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Jason Tyde, Architect replied 8 months ago
Jason Tyde
Jason Tyde, Architect

Hello, I am an architect and can help you with this.

The STC of a 2x4 16" OC wood stud wall with one layer of 5/8" standard GWB on each side has an STC of 32. Unbalanced construction, i.e. removing a layer of GWB from one side of the wall will decrease the STC of the assembly by 0-1 STC, per rules of thumb.

Hi, I'm actually looking for a measurement, not a rule of thumb. It seems to me that by decreasing the mass of the wall assembly by that much, and reducing completely the air gap in between, much more than 0-1 STC points would be lost.

Unfortunately only the Underwriter's Laboratories measured assemblies will provide you with measured STC numbers. If you diverge from those known assemblies you have to use rules of thumb. Since STC is not linearly related to mass, air gap, insulation, and all the other variables I can certainly believe that the STC of the assembly you propose is very close to the single-layer of ⅝" GWB on both sides of a 2x4 @ 16" wall assembly as an unbalanced version of it.