Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Over the years, the brick front steps have have settled at…

Customer Question
Over the years, the...

Over the years, the brick front steps have have settled at an angel to the front door. We have left it alone for fear that the cost of repair would be prohibitive. Now that we plan to retire and sell the house in a few years, I am revisiting this issue. My questions: Can you fix it and how much would it cost?

Contractor's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Contractor's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Do you offer free inspection and estimate?

Contractor's Assistant: The Contractors require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

What is "Just Answer"?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The problem is that the 4 brick step ensemble has sunk on one side giving a slop of approx 5 inches.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

At 80, I do not think so.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We are the original owners of this 25 yr old lake-side house in Liberty Park. The foundations of the house appear to be sound. The brick entrance steps were NOT attached to the structure and have shifted over the years. I did not notice any additional shifting in the steps n the last several years.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 6 days by:
11/17/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 8 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Your solution is to have a professional contractor inspect the steps . They will most likely have to be completely removed and replaced.
More....
There is a possibility they could be straightened and reused but this would be a decision that has to be based on a thorough field inspection of the steps .
More...
Whatever needs to be done you need to do it in order to sell your home and for your own and others safety in the interim.
The money spent will be worth it
as it will detract greatly from the
entrance and will likely become a requirement of the sale.
It is better to fix it now before it becomes an issue in the sale of the home.
Any inspector would list the crooked steps as a problem that needs to be corrected .
You will be able to recover the expence when you sell the home or the buyer may be willing to accept them as is for a reduction in the sales price.
If you can come up with the money it could be less complicated to get them fixed before listing the property for sale.
Often contractors will inspect a job like this and give a free estimate. This will give you an idea how much money will be needed for the repair.
Use only licensed and insured contractors to bid and do the work.