Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

How far from a hog house should a well be drilled, for safe…

Customer Question
How far from a...

How far from a hog house should a well be drilled, for safe drinking water?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

I do not know how long it has been going on. My daughter just went out to live and study with the Amish, we visited her, they showed us their hogs, and the water well, actually a wind mill, was just not far from the hogs, which were plentiful, and close to what appeared to be a huge chicken house!

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What work?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't believe so. I am not working with the Amish, just my daughter, and we visited her, and are wondering how safe it is for her with all the hogs and other animals so close to the water well used by the people!

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/9/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 9 months ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Generally 100' from any potential source of contamination. This is more critical with shallow wells. The Amish have very clean agricultural/husbandry methods so t may not be a big a concern as with a factory farm. That said I'd be reluctnat to drink that water until/unless it was tested.