Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a 1/3 hp Liftmaster garage door opener that will not…

Hello Pearl, I have...

Hello Pearl, I have a 1/3 hp Liftmaster garage door opener that will not open. Can you tell me what is wrong with it?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends upon the issue.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I believe that is it. I press the button and nothing happens.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

It is a 1/3 hp Liftmaster

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/22/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi my name is ***** *****’d be happy to help you with your difficulties today but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

1-) The make LIFTMASTER and model 1/3 HP or number of the devices in question and do you have the manuals for them?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

No
2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner - I think it is from 2006, not the original owner.
3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have either an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering? No lights are on.
4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes. The wall remote works, there are three remotes.
5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is? no lights blinking or steady.
6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage - had an issue with the remote opening the door yesterday, however I used the wall opener and the door opened and closed.
7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ? Please see answer on 6.
8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener? The wall opener yes.
9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive? Not sure
10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses? Nothing
11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? Yes and yes.

it may be that the safety sensors are out of alignment or have gone south and need replacing..........you have to point them at each other as to where the LED lights will stay lit continuously ....it isn't like it is a laser but they have to meet ........if you can't get them to stay steady then they have to be replaced and Lowe's should have them for around 40. but call first to be sure they have them

If it is the safety sensors, if I try bringing a remote opener by the opener to see if anything happens?

it has to do with the door reversing ......nothing with the remote

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Ok, Eddie thank you. I will try to figure it out from here.

sure .......if you need anymore help I will be here for you and thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>
Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor