Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I had a entire roof done 2 years ago and I am having a

problem with the flashing in...
I had a entire roof done 2 years ago and I am having a problem with the flashing in one corner that leaked and damaged my hardwood floor about a year ago. I caulked the flashing myself and this seem to stop the leak. I was told that this flashing would not have been replaced when the roofing was done and now we are going around in circles over this issue. Is this correct that would not of originally be changed when roof was done? Also had another problem with a big hole near the chimney a picture was taken showing the hole but I was told when roof was done that the hole was not seen due to flashing around chimney. The pictures don't show flashing they show felt paper with lots of nails only. Also, had a leak due to hurricane Irma that I was told was the roof vent that was screwed/nailed down but not the new code in FL is with some kind of washer with the screw/nail. Should I believe any of these stories I am being told?
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I had a entire roof done 2 years ago and I am having a problem with the flashing in one corner that leaked and damaged my hardwood floor about a year ago. I caulked the flashing myself and this seem to stop the leak. I was told that this flashing would not have been replaced when the roofing was done and now we are going around in circles over this issue. Is this correct that would not of originally be changed when roof was done? Also had another problem with a big hole near the chimney a picture was taken showing the hole but I was told when roof was done that the hole was not seen due to flashing around chimney. The pictures don't show flashing they show felt paper with lots of nails only. Also, had a leak due to hurricane Irma that I was told was the roof vent that was screwed/nailed down but not the new code in FL is with some kind of washer with the screw/nail. Should I believe any of these stories I am being told?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, going around in circles with the roofer and contractor some things are fixed but the flashing that caused the leak on my wood floors is still an issue. What is the correct way to fix this?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No the flashing issue I keep being told that this would not of been changed out when the entire roof was done is this true. They did nail to rotted wood at the time and made them correct it but did not catch the flashing issue until I had a leak...
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/21/2017
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Good evening.

My name's Kel.

I will offer general advice and suggestions because I'm not familiar with building and contractural practices in your part of Florida.

Generally speaking when a roof is replaced ALL the flashing is replaced as well. It's a question of liability. Most roofers don't want a job to fail because some old marginal work wasn't replaced. The exception would be step flashing in the side of masonry chimneys. That's installed as the chimney's built. That's usually reused unless it's badly corroded.

Generally the flashing is replaced because in order to remove the old roof the flashing must be removed. It's usually so bent or so weakened it can't be reused.

You should read your contract carefully. It should specify whether the flashing will be reused or replaced.

Unless the area where the leak occurred was excluded from the contract the roofer was responsible to repair the leak.

Reread your contract about warranties. How long is it good for? What's included? What isn't?

I'm not clear on the chimney issue. Are you saying they showed you a picture with a hole in the roof and then when the job was complete all you could see is tarpaper? Tarpaper cannot be left exposed. It must either be flashed or tarred.

The nails holding down flashing or vents need to have neoprene washers to maintain the seal.

During high winds in a storm it is possible for rain to be driven under a roof vent cover and into the hole in the roof.

The leak would be due to low probability weather conditions not poor workmanship.

You can talk with a building inspector from your town's department of inspections to find out what is common practice and what is required by the building code. When it comes to roofs each jurisdiction enforces the law a little differently given local weather conditions.

You can also talk with Florida attorney general about roofing contract standards.

Does this make sense?

Have I answered your questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** *****

If I've addressed your concerns would you rate my work so I can get paid?

Yours,

Kel

Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor