Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

When using drywall to repair large holes in wooden lathe and…

Second opinion] When using drywall...
Second opinion] When using drywall to repair large holes in wooden lathe and plaster walls is it best to remove the old lathe and hang drywall from stud to stud in place of the lathe then patch accordingly or hang drywall over the lathe and patch?
10/20/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If you're trying to patch a plaster wall then it makes no difference whether you go over the lathes or back to the studs. It's easier to not disturb the old plaster of you leave the lathes in place but the primary consideration is having the thickness of the 2 surfaces match up.

Thank you

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, General Contractor