Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

When using drywall to repair large holes in lathe and

plaster walls is it best...
When using drywall to repair large holes in lathe and plaster walls is it best to remove the old lathe and hang new wallboard from stud to stud to fill between the rest of the lathe then patch accordingly or hang 1/4 inch over the lathe and patch?
10/20/2017
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

hi .............how big is the patch? ...........is it wire or wood lathe?........If you could upload a couple of photos it would help out considerably

How to send a photo or file instructions
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

what you'll want to do if it is a small patch and wood is to dust it off good .......and use a piece of 1/4 inch and gob the back of it with joint compound then press it into place where it is dead even with the plaster and let it dry...........please let me know

Thanks

eddie

Not actually working on it at this moment but its old 1902 wooden lathe and plaster. Lets use a hole a couple feet by a couple feet for the purpose of this conversation
Also if some or most of the lathe is broken or missing
Then best to patch the hole with new wallboard then patch accordingly or re lathe it and use 1/4in drywall

okay then you should cut a square patch from stud to stud then butter a 1/4 inch it and again press it in flush..........let it dry and then the next day screw it off ...........the purpose of all of this is not to have any high spots as to where you finish it off with gauze mesh tape to not have any high spots where it looks like a patch was done

Right but back to the original question, in that situation as you just described, does the square patch go in place of the wooden lathe or over newly replaced wooden lathe?

it depends on the depth .........I really could use photos ............you probably do but you may not even have to remove the lathe .....just the broken ones and use them to butter to also

Ok but what im asking is if enough of the lathe is broken or missing, then is it best to just remove the lathe from stud to stud the size of the hole and use wallboard or put new lathe and hang some drywall? Or is either way acceptable ?
Actually lemme ask that differently
Lemme send a pic for an example

you just want to get the depth right ........whether use double 1/4 inch drywall or lathe and drywall or drywall and joint compound

is it wood lathe...........scratch or gypsum coat .........then the plaster veneer?.........and how deep is that to either the lathe or the studs?

In this pic for instance would the drywall be installed from stud to stud to be level with the lathe then finished accordingly? Or on top of the lathe? My first mind says drywall in place of the lathe. Then mud etc to finish the patch. Would that be generally acceptable?

this is fine...........but one thing like I said you need to do is remove that ........gob the back with joint compound on the studs or wood lathe and PRESS IT FLUSH..........let it dry .......the next day screw it off ..........mud in those big gaps on the left and then mesh tape and finish with 3 cots of joint compound

Ok im gonna try one last time here. Can you re read my last message and attempt to answer it?

IT DOES NOT MATTER ..............replacing the wood lathe (which is harder) or using the drywall in place of the wood lathe is the same thing as long as you attain the RIGHT DEPTH to the existing plaster finish....................I am trying to make this easy for you ........I could have told you that you could replace the lathe.......do a scratch coat and use plaster but you may not know how to do all that

Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Thank you for your positive rating........and the ensuing payment I will receive........ I trust you were able to make an informed decision or better yet your problem was resolved......or will be......if you need anything else home improvement wise....... construction…….decorating...... or any kind of repairs etc....... please look for me ......it has been a pleasure

Customer/p>