Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Questions about my newly replaced thermocouple and

Questions about my newly...

Questions about my newly replaced thermocouple and thermopilot.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since I replaced them two weeks ago. The pilot is great, the flame is great, but after about 5 hours of running, the whole thing goes out. The fireplace is in a bedroom. Home is 10 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

Hearth and home natural gas fireplace.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I already have, when I replaced with new thermocouple

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am wondering if it is possible that it goes out when room is warm. The outside vent is fine and it goes off and on fine, by the wall switch, unless the whole thing goes out. I always have windows open and we have no wind. It usually burns around 5 to 6 hours and then goes out. I have replaced the wall switch also, before I did the thermocouple work.

10/20/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

I​f the wind or any type of draft is not causing the pilot to blowout, then most likely the problem is the gas valve. There is usually a magnetic contact that keeps the valve open so long as it is receiving an electrical signal, however these wear out over time. The 5-6hr delay may be from a slow and deliberate decline of the electrical current which shuts off the gas flow to the pilot. These valves are available and your trusted plumber or heating company can make the repairs.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. Please understand that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, therefore I will kindly ask that while your question is open to check your email as I may send you updates or I may need additional information to help answer your question, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of these requests.

If you have any additional information you would like to add, just let me know and I will see if I can locate some more solutions to this question.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Thank you. I will do a little more research and then call my plumber. This sounds like the answer. I appreciate it.

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know,

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor