Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I recently bought a house and have some issues that I’d like…

Hello, I recently bought a...
Hello, I recently bought a house and have some issues that I’d like to ask questions about. There is a satellite dish on the front of the house that I don’t need and I wondered how much it would cost to remove it And who would I get?The house is long but not wide and referred to as a shotgun house and one side of the house is completely dark and I want to add lighting. What is the simplest and least expensive way To get lighting on that side of the house? And lastly I have a quote from a professional window treatment person for 16 windows which are mainly small windows and the quote is 2200 for cellular shades. I wonder if this is too much?
10/19/2017
Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

I would call the dish company to have it removed, I would think there was no charge but you'll need to ask them.As for the window treatments costing $2200, it's important to know that window treatments are very expensive. I would ask them how you could reduce the cost to make it more affordable. I would also get another quote from another company or two, to understand how expensive these treatments are. I would say it's not too expensive, but I would also get multiple quotes from different companies.One way to get more light into rooms is by adding skylights, something I would not suggest because they invariably leak at some point. I would look into Sola-Tubes.

You' have to look in the phone book for Sola-Tube sales or Google it. It is a fantastic way to bring light into your house and it's just a small round tube that let's the outside light come in and you hardly notice it in your ceiling.

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to informational resource!

Susan

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Thanks Susan! How about adding light to the side of the house that has no light for safety reasons? How is the most economical that I can do that? Also the quote that I got was for Hunter Douglas cellular shades. I live in an area that doesn’t have other companies that can come in and quote so I’m basically stuck with that one.
Hmm...you said basically, you have all small windows, is that correct? What about a Lowe's? Do you have a Lowe's nearby? That would be the cheapest route, if you picked stock off the shelf, but they have cellular shades. Now that I think about it, and since you told me this was a quote from Hunter Douglas, I can tell you that is one of the most expensive places you can purchase from. Oh dear, you were gouged. Give me a second, I'm going to check something and will be back with you.On the lighting, do you mean interior lighting?I'll be back.I'm back. I checked Lowe's and you can order cellular shades online. These are their stock shades, but look at the pricing! The first thing they want to know is the width when you order and they will cut to fit for you. They have Levolor brand (their top end shade), they have Allen + Roth brand which is Lowe's store brand. I would stick with one of those because I'm not familiar with Redi Shade.Where is the closest Lowe's to you? They may be able to deliver free of charge, or, you can pay a little bit and have them delivered if you live too far away. But if you want better than a stock brand,, then I would make a field trip to the nearest Lowe's and see what you can get from the books there....they have all the pretty fabrics that Hunter Douglas has. If you purchase while you are their, they can set it up for delivery as well....take your measurements with you!

Are you talking about exterior lighting? (I thought you were talking about interior, sorry)

If you have not electricity over there, you can get battery operated exterior lights. I loved mine....the batteries work out a little fast but that was because it was used a lot. I'm searching for a website link.

Here is the link for cellular shades at Lowes....have a look. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=cellular+shades

Here is a link for 2 battery operated LED exterior light. You can order them online and have them delivered.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Brinks-110-Degree-2-Head-White-Integrated-LED-Motion-Activated-Flood-Light/1000207947

and

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=battery+operated+exterior+lighting

You can try Home Depot too, they will have similar products, sometimes cheaper. Once you get to Home Depot's sight, enter the words, "exterior LED battery operated lights."

Thanks again Susan but I don’t think I want battery operated I think I want electrical hardwired exterior lights similar to the ones I have on the east side of the house. Wondering what it would cost to have these installed? The reason I had the Hunter Douglas quote was because they are the only outfit in this area that does custom window treatments. Yes they are small windows and just wondering what should I be charge for 16 windows… I was thinking more like 1200 installed but I could be wrong, lol!

I have answered your questions. I told you a cheaper way to get the same quality blinds for less money if you are willing to shop online. You can see if Hunter Douglas can make you a better offer, but that's all I know to do with that. As I said Hunter Douglas is the most expensive route to go. You can see if they'll come down $1000 in their price.

As for exterior lights, if you want them hardwired, you'll just purchase the lights you want and hire an electrician to install them. I can't tell you how much it will cost because I can't see your breaker box location, nor can I see where you need lights, nor do I know electrician pricing in your area. You'll just need to contact one, tell him what you want to do and he will give you a price, I would get a couple of quotes.

Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor