Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Is a 5 year warranty (labor and materials) on custom built

high velocity accordion type shutters...
Is a 5 year warranty (labor and materials) on custom built high velocity accordion type shutters, to be installed on my condo unit in Florida, too short a warranty? Does it indicate that the quality might not be so great because it's not a 10 year or longer warranty?
10/19/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

M​any manufacturers warranties can be limiting for several reasons. Some of the more popular reasons have to do with the type of structure the product will be installed in. Example is a home owner warranty is usually longer than a rental home warranty simply because they know renters are not as careful with products as home owners are. Another example is how the product will be used as well as where it will be located. Residential water heater's for example usually have a 6 yr life warranty yet a 1yr parts warranty. Commercial water heaters usually have a 2yr warranty for everything. Other warranties like major home appliances have 1,2, or 3yr warranties with the option of purchasing extended warranties. Carpet makers brag about their carpet and claim 10yr warranties, however if that same carpet was installed in an apartment rental unit it would only have a 2yr warranty because they know how abusive renters are and don't care for their product. I think if you are getting 5yrs parts and labor that is very reasonable.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. Please understand that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, therefore I will kindly ask that while your question is open to check your email as I may send you updates or I may need additional information to help answer your question, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of these requests.

If you have any additional information you would like to add, just let me know and I will see if I can locate some more solutions to this question.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Thank you very much for the positive rating and the additional bonus, I sincerely ***** ***** both. If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know,

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor