Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

We just bought a Jandy heat pump for our 20 x 40 pool. We

Hi, JA: Hello. How can I...
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: We just bought a Jandy heat pump for our 20 x 40 pool. We were told that the heat pump doesn't work when the ambient temperature is below 42 degrees. Tonight it is supposedly going down below 40 - do we shut it off - actually we do shut it off at night - but what happens when the temperature goes lower than 40, does the heat pump just shut down?
JA: Who manufactured the pool?
Customer: Stevenson
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: what work? the pool was built around 1985, the heat pump was just installed 10 days ago.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, I'm just wondering what to expect when the temperature goes down.
10/17/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

These are some interesting questions you raise...

Here is a link to an owners manual for reference however it may not be specific to your model since it was not mentioned in your post. https://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0408600.pdf

This is the toll free number to Jandy if you have specific questions.

Zodiac Pool Systems, Inc.***** Vista, CA 92081 1.***-***-**** | www.ZodiacPoolSystems.com

What I find interesting is the manual does not mention anything about climate changes except for 2 specific things, Winterizing and efficiency loss from the elements. Basically this heater is an air conditioner in reverse (a heat exchanger) unlike conventional heaters that use natural gas or propane.

Therefore when the outside ambient air is significantly lower (like snow areas) the exchanger will not perform as intended since it is dependent on using higher temperatures to heat the pool or spa. Meaning it will take longer to heat the water and it may never reach above a certain temperature.

This is why I included Jandy's toll free number because that would be a technical question for them and I would follow their recommendations in order to protect the equipment.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. Please understand that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, therefore I will kindly ask that while your question is open to check your email as I may send you updates or I may need additional information to help answer your question, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of these requests.

If you have any additional information you would like to add, just let me know and I will see if I can locate some more solutions to this question.

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor