Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Help find the air filter in Tempstar furnace and how to

Please help find the air...
Please help find the air filter in Tempstar furnace and how to replace it. The furnace is inside a closet and has an access panel with a knob at the top, as pictured. I do not have the manual and can't figure out how to take off the panel (if I even need to).Tempstar 327558-101 REV B
10/16/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

H​i... based on the photos you sent the black know on top is a quick lock 1/4 turn counter clockwise to unlock the front panel. Once unlocked the entire panel should tilt forward then lift out. be careful as it is easy to bend the panel and it also has sharp edges. Once open it will need to be lifted high enough to clear the gas line. Normally the filter will be way down on the bottom under the blower. This will either be a stock size filter or a washable type cut to size. Once the panel is open their should be some diagrams on the panel or inside the unit. Make, model number, type, etc and perhaps info as to where and how to remove and install the filters.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. Please understand that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, therefore I will kindly ask that while your question is open to check your email as I may send you updates or I may need additional information to help answer your question, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of these requests.

If you have any additional information you would like to add, just let me know and I will see if I can locate some more solutions to this question.

O​k I believe I have an answer to the filters it took some time, but I believe this particular model uses external filters rather than traditional internal filter under the blower. What this means is you need to locate the largest vent in the house (this is where all the air noise will be coming from and the air will be drawing into this vent rather than the smaller vents having air blow outward. Most likely behind this vent you will find your filter. Note it may require some tools to remove the vent unless they were nice and installed one with similar quick releases.

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was it! The vent was on the other side of the closet and needed flat heads to open. After opening it, I found a washable air filter stuffed up there, not really cut to fit. I vacuumed the dirt off of it and put it back. Now to research a new air filter. Thank you.

You are most welcome and thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know,

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor