Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have both a sump pump and an ejector pump ( for teh

washing machine drainage, AC/Furnance drainage...
I have both a sump pump and an ejector pump ( for teh washing machine drainage, AC/Furnance drainage and a bathroom the previous owner put in) we had NO rain for 20 days so even the sump pump was not really going off at all..we have a high water table here.. We had rain for 2 days and the sump pump ig going off as it should very freqeuntly; however teh ejector pump is also going off pushing water ever 30 minutes. teh lid on the ejector pump is bolted down- and i cannot hear water but I wonder what teh issue could be..i had turned off the water the to the toilet in the bathroom least year since the toilet was leaking - it seemed to solve that issue--last year now its doing it again do we have extra water drainage into the ejector basin somewhere...how do i figure this out. or did the house settle again..??built 94 when i moved in i ran the sump pump drainage all connected to PVC pipe under ground and way out and connected it tot he city line(w permissions/permit). I'm worried i have cracks somewhere
10/15/2017
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like you have a leak in the ejector chamber above the average water line. So ground water is leaking into the ejector chamber and causing the pump to run excessively. This is not normal or common. One other possibility is a leak in a drain line under the slab. You'll have to pull the cover off the chamber to check this out.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It hadn't done this when we had a really bad storm a few months ago and we had major flooding here, our area was spared with destruction and road closures. I'm confused what do you mean- average water line? who can help access which one it is for sure? does this mean the basement needs to dug up? or is it an easy fix. and who do i can first? a Plumber or a contractor or some plumbing/contractor? this hasn't occurred like this and I thought i solved the issue with turning off teh water to the toilet. SO if the ejector pit chamber basin has a whole and needs to be replaced or will that cause other issues>? if its the drain line/tile what has to be done to correct it and how much do these issues typically run? what would someoen do to fix it? I may prefer to talk I see that is an option
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, are you going to call me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No Person has called me, please do not charge my credit card if I do not receive a call.

I'm sorry I was tied up for a few minutes and a colleague pick up you call request. Let me know if you don't get a call

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no one has called
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you answer my question via type
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
very disappointed in this website - first time i tried it and i will never use it again..

Yes we can continue here. I can't call you now. To answer your previous questions you need a plumber to check this out. There's no way I can predict a cost when the actual culprit hasn't been found yet. It's pointless to speculate until the cause is found.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i asked about the average water line what is that and what would happen? do they just replace the basin? if its a drain line do they have to dig up the basement?

Yes if it's the basin they would just replace the basin. If it's a drain line it will have to be dug up to fix it. Average water line is the level in the chamber that the pump cycles. So the leak would have to be above the level where the pump shuts off or the pump would never shut off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if there is water getting into basin, is that bad anyway or is there water always flowing underneath (via the drain tile) to go to the sump pump pit. i cannot picture how a broken drain tile could get into the ejector pump pit.

The subsurface drain tiles have nothing to do with this. The water is getting in because the water table is high enough under the slab. It's getting in through a defect in the chamber or a plumbing drain not a drain tile.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what would the plumbing drain be you are referring to?- from the bathroom the other owner put in or another type of plumbing drain?. i cannot think of any other one..the ejt pump wasn't going off at all until it rained or i had the AC on (but never went off w the AC very much).. so my thought was it cannot be AC drainage.. tehre is plumbing from the bath overhead- would there be plumbing form the toilet in the foundation I cannot see? I cannot tell where all the PVC is coming from since some is covered with drywall or a finished wall.

Any drain that empties into this chamber thats under the slab

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im going to assume no one is calling me. please do not charge for the call since i was not called. thank you.

You shouldn't be charged for the call. Contact customer service if you are by mistake
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok. I will have a plumber look at the ejector pump basin.. I hear they cna smell to high heaven. when opened. I also see cracked in teh floor-perhaps nothing bu teh house settling- it 24 yr old.

Good luck

Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor