Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

LAND SURVEYOR Knowledgeable Person Need assistance in

LAND SURVEYOR Knowledgeable Person Need assistance in...
LAND SURVEYOR
Knowledgeable Person
Need assistance in marking my property lines.
10/15/2017
OregonLawExpert

Hello. This is the legal section of Just Answer. Do you require legal assistance?

Land surveyor
No legal
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Unless this is just something you want to do just to get a rough idea of where your property line is
you need to hire a certified professional surveyor.
You start with the "plat " for your property which is registered at the court house or city planning office for your area .
More......
If your lot is small and a basic rectangle it will normally have four corner markers.
Any lot that is large or odd shaped will have more and be too much for an untrained person to deal with.
More.....
If the lot is clear and you can see from marker to market (steel /iron rods driven into the ground. ) you can check the measurements and compare them to your "plat".
This however may not be acurate and should not be used as a badis for any type of construction ,cutting trees or landscaping .
..more.....
This where the need for a licensed , registered certified surveyor comes in . Only they can compare past records and make the measurements needed to certify your corner and any intermediate markers . Even then you need to make sure your neighbor has no dispute with the findings before doing work that could possibly be on their side of the line .
Most people do not contest the findings of a certified surveyor when inches are involved . However if it is a difference of feet
then that is another matter.
You didn't state your reasons here so I am just being hypothetical .
The bot***** *****ne is a survey you do yourself is not going to hold up if any dispute arises .
That said there is no reason You cant recheck the corners measuring from corner to corner and verify the measurements to see if they match your original
plat for your own satisfaction.
I am going to put up a taller (8’ tall) fence in the back and was trying to get a rough idea how to check the current fence location - before I put six hundred plus feet of metal post three foot in the ground. My neighbor has horses and other farm animals that I do not want them to destroy my new fence as they have the old one. I will get home on many different occasions and all of their animals will be running all over my 5 acres destroying things. So... I would like to leave the old fence up and put another foot or so of space between and put up the 8’ tall metal corrugated fence the length of my back property. I was thinking since I will be keeping my personal (8’ tall) fence away from the primary fence that my neighbor will be liable for any damage if any to my fence. There is no markers that I can see. I live in the country and the property is platted as agriculture. Just wanted to make sure I dot all i’s and cross all t’s.
That should should work
as long as you are on your side and like you said the old fence close to his side you should have no problem .
Five acres could get pretty expensive to survey.
So you are doing the right thing.
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Thanks
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor