Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Can someone help me design a portable arbor under my palm…

Customer Question
Can someone help me design...
Can someone help me design a portable arbor under my palm tree to stop the branches from falling on us during a party in two days? I would like to be able to give it to someone that i can hire on craigslist or Task RAbbit etc. We have paves around the palm tree that are tan or cream color that are square 6 in blocks and 8 in x 6in... AND there might be another hurricane coming this weekend... Yikes...
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
I would have liked to attach something to the house like the attached photos but for the sake of a timely structure that can be removed, i don't think we have enough time to plan that now. SO i feel a portable structure that can be taken down again is best. We have been getting quotes on extending the house to the right where there is a small shed like room and make the downstairs area wider at some point. But had to put those plans on hold.
house palm tree.pnghouse p...pngarbor entrance.PNGarbor e...PNGfront door pergola.PNGfront d...PNGpergola front door.PNGpergola...PNG
10/6/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Martin, Electrical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Martin, Electrical Engineer

As you need this fast and want something portable and able to endure hurricanes, i would personally use cables and suspend a fishing net on that. You can then cover any kind of weird surface as long as you have some structure or other trees to hook the cable to.

To not have the whole thing wave in wind and follow a tree tunk you can gravity weight it with pulley to have a constent tension and make a stop knot so the net does not goes down too low if a palm front fall in it.

Thats sort of what i wanted to do except use just the cables to break the fall of the branches. That would still hurt though if they sneak through so the net would be the ideal i agree.A small pergola would probably look weird and to work, it would need some investment of time to think it through.
SO what type of person can rig up a fishing net at the last minute since have to do this myself because my family insists i am exaggerating the danger posed by the palm tree. Ive personally almost been hit 3 times. Maybe they want to get rid of me.... /:( I need to hire someone to actually do what you just wrote..

Someone that know how to make good knot and a ladder is pretty much all what you need. It need to be high enough to account for those getting trough to not spike anybody. They are not that dangerous but with wind they sure can be a hazzard fr eyes and ears. Make sure it is easy to install and remove, perhaps with an anodized carabiner. The best is to set it up on ground and then lift it with rope and secure it for good. As for the rope and net, nylon with UV protection would do.

Guess what. I found out that hurricane IRMA blew off any branches that were ripe for pruning or soon to fall, so my concern was not urgent after all.I still like some input on an arbor or pergola idea on this house. Are you knowledgeable on that? Still removable since we are interested in an addition once we can settle on my sketches i have done at some point.

You want something removable as in destroy it once you decide to build an additon or as something you want to be able to move further or even someting you can set up in part of the year only and disassemble it when not wanted?