Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

What is the proper kidde replacement for Model # 1275? Last…

Customer Question
What is the proper...

What is the proper kidde replacement for Model # 1275?

Contractor's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.

Last night our system went off with all the individual model 1275 going off. ADT came today and indicated that the monitors should be change at least every 10 years and our system is older than that. I want to replace the 1275 models and I find that the new 12040 fits the old bracket. Is this the proper replacement or do you recommend a different model?

Contractor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Yes, I hooked up a new model 12040 partly because the old bracket worked without replacing it. When I activated the system, it was silent and then a minute or so later the alarm went of, not the churping that happened last night but the full system and alerted ADT. THey indicated that it was a motion detector and it could have been as I did not deactivate that.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
10/4/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

The i2040 is the correct replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-i12040-Wire-Battery-Backup/dp/B0000CBHOR/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1507143645&sr=1-1&keywords=kiddie+1275

This doesn't have a motion detector, so if they are saying that, it may be an unrelated problem. It is normal for the alarm to go off once in a test cycle after placing the battery in.

It's also a good idea to replace all of these at the same time, since they do have a limited life.