Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

My small backyard pond had algea in it, so I have drained it…

Customer Question
My small backyard pond...

My small backyard pond had algea in it , so I have drained it .Before I refill it should I use any chemicals etc to clean the concrete ?

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a landscape professional about the pond?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Do I replace the plants and fish our get new ones?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
10/4/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Machinc, General Contractor replied 8 months ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Im guessing this is spring coming on for you .
The fish wont carry the algea but the plants could.
More......
Unless the plants are very special I would go with new ones.
If The concrete is totally dry and exposed to sun I would not use
any chemicals .
More...
Also try less plants , they can add to the algea problem.
I would avoid chemicals
If there is still signs og algae on the concrete and you are ready to refill the pond clean with a brush and mild bleach water mix . 3tablespoons per gallon.
Remove all if this clean up water
Let concrete dry abd then refill
You could try some natural ways to control the algeaThis is a site with some natural "algea eaters" not sure if your neck of the woods but might give you some ideas.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-pets/algae+eaters/k0c18433?sort=rank
Sorry for the typos , having trouble with autocorrect tonight.
Will I add say salt to refil tap water ?
No salt is needed .
You will not be able to use salt water algea eaters .
Have to have fresh water sorry if site misled you.