Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Shipping containers for building projects; please clarify…

Customer Question
shipping containers for building projects...
shipping containers for building projects; please clarify the meaning in a sentence enclosed here;
"3. The price for a 20′ shipping container (not including delivery) can range from $2500 to $4000. You can stick build a building with the same amount of square footage, that is just as water tight and structurally sound using traditional construction methods for less than the cost of a shipping container – it just won’t weigh as much."
What does "stick build a building" mean.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Improvement
10/2/2017
Home Improvement Expert: Dovetail Greene, General Contractor replied 10 months ago
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Good morning.

My name's Kel.

Stick built is the method that's been used in the United States for almost 150 years.

Carpenters measure, cut and nail each element in the structure.

Those would be sills, joists, rims, studs, plates, bracing and rafters.

Jargon for studs, that is, the vertical element in walls that the interior and exterior finish is attached to is a stick.

Some major components for a stick built building are manufactured off site. For example roof and floor trusses.

Does this make sense?

Have I answered your question?

Good morning.

If I've answered your question would you rate my service so I can get paid?

Good evening.

If I've answered your question would you rate my service, so I can get Paid?

Regards,

Kel

Sorry about losing track.... So its the bones or the skeleton and ligaments, faschia? Not the skin or the muscles or the veins or wiring or dry wall or shingles siding and roofing materials? Just the framework inside the shell...?.

You have to show the skeleton and the ligaments.

Don't have to show wiring.

Do have to show smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.

In the section views you show materials such as drywall, insulation and roofing.

One crucial detail is how you'll make sure moisture isn't trapped between finish surfaces and steel container.

I went too deep.
Let me rephrase;
Stick built refers ONLY to the frame (wood parts that are like the skeleton of the structure)
and everything that fastens the frames together.
Not the dry wall, not the shingles. Not the electrical, not the windows ....

Stick built means the carpenters refer to the construction documents commonly called blueprints

to determine the size, material, length and location of each individual part.

That includes sills, joists, studs, plates, rafters or trusses, decking and sheathing.

They measure, cut, place and fasten each element.

that process you just described above, where carpenters look at blue prints and measure, cut place, fasten sills, joists, studs, plates, rafters or trusses, decking and sheathing, is called "stick building" or stick built...THat is the lingo for this portion of the job which a carpenter looks over the construction jobs blue prints to begin the "stick built" phase of the job?

The process I described would create what's known as a stick built building.

ok, like this photo
https://diyatlantamodern.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_31561.jpg
i can call a carpenter and ask him to stick build a shed and add lighting and my spouse can add shingles himself perhaps. Can a carpenter draw out the blue prints or do i have to hire someone else. I am glad i am not getting a shipping container .....thank you for alerting me on stick buildings